Process To Check TDS Challan Status Online
Before we jump into exploring the method for checking TDS Challan Status Online, let us first understand the very concept of TDS briefly. We will keep this explanation as simple as possible and carefully eliminate the complexities in definition and explanation.
What is TDS?
TDS stands for Tax Deducted at Source. It simply means that revenue will be collected by the government at the source where income originates. So, what really happens is that you don’t pay tax after you have earned the income. You pay it while you are earning it and it is collected when the income is being earned. TDS is important for a government because tax collection with TDS ensures two things:
- The tax collection is preponed. This means that the government need not wait for you to pay taxes later. It is collected up front.
- TDS ensures a continuous income stream for the government without any break.
TDS can be deducted only from specific types of payments. The deductions are made at appropriate rates. Someone will have the responsibility of deducting the TDS before paying out the income or payment to its recipient. The money thus deducted then rolls into the treasury of Central Government. The responsibility of crediting the money to Central Government lies with the same person or organization that deducts the TDS in the first place. That person or organization will also have another responsibility – issuing a TDS certificate to the person from whose income the tax has been deducted.
Once TDS is deducted, it does not mean that the person from whose income the TDS has been deducted will not have to pay income tax. Actually, he or she has to pay. However, the deducted TDS then gets adjusted against his or her income tax due.
Check TDS Challan Status Online
Now that we have a brief understanding of what TDS actually means, we can now start with the step-by-step guide of checking TDS Challan Status Online. These steps are simple and don’t involve a complex procedure.
#STEP 1: Visit this website. This website is maintained by the Income Tax Department and is known as Tax Information Network or TIN
#STEP 2: On the website, you will see a menu on top. Click on the category ‘Services’ and a dropdown option will open.
#STEP 3: In the dropdown, in first bullet point submenu, you will see an item called “Challan Status Enquiry’. Click on it.
#STEP 4: A new page will open in a new tab. This new page will have a small form which will ask for TAN and PRN. TAN stands for Tax Deduction Account Number. PRN stands for Provisional Receipt Number.
#STEP 5: Both TAN and PRN are mandatory. You need to input both and click on the button which reads ‘View Status’.
#STEP 6: Once you do that you will see a page which will show the TDS Challan Status.
#STEP 7: The new page that opens up will show you the following details:
- Deductor details as provided by TAN Master.
- Details of TDS statement.
- TDS status.
Here are a few things you need to know:
- In case of accepted statements, you can cross match bank uploaded challan with challan that shows up in the statement.
- If there are deductees who have invalid PAN, the total number of such deductees will also reflect on the statement.
In case you see a rejected statement, you will also get to see the reason behind such rejection.
The Possibility of Checking Form 26AS OR Tax Credit Statements
You won’t just get to check the TDS Challan Status Online with the above described method. You can also check Tax Credit Statements or Form 26 AS
A Tax Credit Statement will show the following details:
- TDS particulars. In other words, the particulars of tax deducted at source by authorized deductors.
- Details of Regular Assessment Tax, Self-Assessment Tax, Advance Tax and more.
- Paid Refunds details from the fiscal year 2009-10 onwards.
Click Here: How is TDS Calculated On Fixed Deposit?
Form 26AS Advantages Are Shown
You don’t just get to check TDS Challan Status on that page. You get something more. You get to know the advantages of Form 26AS.
Here are the advantages:
- Once form 26AS or Tax Credit Statement starts showing tax credit, TDS certificates are no longer needed.
- Commercial transactions involving TCS/TDS for that fiscal year are all shown in a single place.
- Provides CIN information for payments that do not involve TDS.
- Repayments enchased in a fiscal year are also reflected in the statement.
- Allows earning calculations and tax credit claims while filing IT returns for earnings.
So, now that you know how to check TDS Challan Status online feel free to try out the whole method. In case you have any concerns, feel free to contact us through the comments section. We will try to help.