Aadhaar Fraud: How To Prevent Them?: Aadhaar card has proved to be a very beneficial identity card for individuals, but the benefit and misuse of it go hand in hand. One should be very careful as a number of Aadhaar related frauds is being registered now a day. Following are the things or Tips that could be done in order to Prevent the misuse of Aadhaar card, or to prevent any Aadhaar fraud.
#Tips 1: Securing Aadhaar Details
The day, the concept of Aadhaar came, the government made it mandatory for a lot of services. It is good in one way, but at the same time if the details of this particular card are not secured, then there are chances of its misuse. So, the day you apply for your Aadhaar ID, keep this particular thing in mind that you need to be a little attentive.
The first thing that could be done, in order to secure your Aadhaar details is to gather the information related to the services where Aadhaar is needed. Not every service requires your Aadhaar detail. However, you could get fraud calls, where you could be asked to share it. Once the person has the knowledge of the service, he or she could deny sharing the details. Also, if you get a call from a place that probably is an Aadhaar related service, then also you need to be sure about the authenticity of the person.
In a nutshell, we could say that one should not share their aadhaar details to anyone, until and unless they are sure about it. This is the first step that could be taken in order to prevent any Aadhaar fraud.
#Tips 2: Lock Your Biometrics
All those people who have to get their Aadhaar cards must be aware of the fact that Biometrics plays a very important in the making and working of Aadhaar cards. When it is made, your biometric is used and if you have any work related to Aadhaar cards, you need to use your biometric. This has made our lives a lot easier. Even if you need to transfer money from one account to another, you can do it with your Aadhaar details with the help of AePS, which is known as Aadhaar Enabled Payment System.
One needs to understand that we are using our Aadhaar details at a lot of places. The details are exposed to these places and so is your biometrics. At this point in time, one needs to ensure whether their biometrics is locked or not. There is a very simple procedure that you need to follow, in order to get your biometrics locked. The steps of this process are given below.
- The very first thing you need to follow is to go to the UIDAI’s official website.
- There, you need to need to go to the section where the details about anyone’s biometric could be found. You could either go to the site and they could search for the section, or could simply go to the address resident.uidai.net.in/biometric-lock. In either of the cases, you will head to the biometric section.
- Once you are at the page of a biometric section, you need to enter your Aadhaar number here. You will see that there is a section where you need to fill your security code. Fill that space too and move ahead.
- As soon as you complete the previous step, you will see that an option has been generated that says, “Send OTP”. You need to click on that you will see that you get a code on your registered mobile number.
- Now, quickly enter that particular code and click on the verify button. After the completion of this particular step, you will see that a new page is opened.
- Go to the page and search for the option called Enable Biometric Locking. After that, enable this option. The moment you will click on this particular button, your biometrics will be locked. If you want to unlock it, you need to repeat the same procedure. One little difference will be there. In order to unlock it, you need to click on the disable button, instead of enable.
#Tips 3: Verified Mobile & Email
In the previous points, we have made it clear that if you are opting for Aadhaar cards, you need to provide a mobile number for the linking. This is an important thing as you get OTP for all the services that are conducted using Aadhaar. The mobile number acts as the point where the OTP could be sent. It is advisory, not to tell anyone about the OTP or its details. These details could also be used for the Aadhaar frauds. You must have witnessed a lot of cases like this.
At times, people forget which number they have registered. If you too are one of them, then you need not worry about it, as it is easy to verify your number linked to Aadhaar. Following are the steps that you need to go through in this case.
- Go to the official UIDAI website.
- Search for the page or option called number or email verification.
- Once you click on this option, you will be headed to a page, where you need to fill all your necessary details. Fill the details there and then click on the option saying Get OTP.
- As you will click on the get OTP, you will receive a code on your Email. Enter that code in the space provided. After that, click on the option, Verify OTP.
- Clicking on the verify option will let you complete your verification. Once the final step is done, you will be directed to a page that says “congratulations”.
In case you have changed your number and not using the one you have registered for Aadhaar, you should update it as soon as possible.
It is the prime duty of each and every Aadhaar card holder that they secure their details in a proper way. With the steps that are mentioned above, it becomes easy to prevent any aadhaar related fraud.