Aadhar Card : Status, Download, Correction & Update
Aadhar card happens to be the new identification system that has been adopted by India. This particular document will cater to all the requirements of the citizen of the country. With the help of this identification document, you can avail various perks and benefits from the government. Not only that, but it also helps the government to enhance the security and safety of the country as well. The responsibility of developing and distribution of Aadhar card has been given to the Unique Identification Authority of India – UIDAI This particular agency was established by the government in 2009. The agency is known to operate under the direction of the central government of India.
Since the time an Aadhar card has been introduced in the system, it has only grown in its importance. Today, it has become mandatory for every citizen to have an Aadhar card. Without the possession of Aadhar card, you will be deprived of various benefits provided by the government. In addition, you may also have to face other consequences as well. that’s why expert says “Aadhar card is the key to your identity” Now let’s take a look at some of the important details about Aadhar card.
How to Apply for Aadhar Card?
Applying for your aadhar card is a simple process. In case, if you are not sure of the procedure, you can go through the guide given below.
- Applying for Aadhaar Card at an Enrolment Centre
In order to apply for your Aadhar card at an enrolment centre, you need to keep all your required documents ready. Make sure that you carry all your important documents with you while visiting the enrolment centre. The application process for the Aadhar card is quite simple.
- Locate an aadhar card enrolment centre near you.
- Now visit the official site of Aadhar card India from where you need to download the Aadhar Enrolment Form.
- Next step is to fill up the form with the required details. Make sure that you make no mistake while filling up the form.
- Submit your form along with all the supporting documents such as your proof of address and proof of identity at the enrolment centre.
- Once all your documents are accepted, you need to submit your biometric details as well. This includes your iris scan and fingerprints. Your photograph will also be taken.
- After you are done, collect the acknowledgement slip that contains the 14 digit enrolment number. This is used to check your aadhar card status. This is why you need to keep it safe.
Well, you can see how easy it is to apply for Aadhar card .
- Getting Your E-Aadhar Card
In case, if you are in a hurry or in an urgent need to get your aadhar card, you can download the e-aadhar card online. In order to download a copy of aadhar card online, you are required to complete the following steps.
- At first, you need to visit the official website for aadhar card India.
- You need to fill up the given form with your enrolment number or aadhar number.
- Once you provide in all the required details, an OTP will be generated and sent to your registered mobile number. With the help of this OTP, you can easily download the e-aadhar card for your need.
Downloading a copy of your E-Aadhar is quite easy only if you know the proper steps.
How to update your Aadhar card details?
There are times when you may feel the need to update your details on Aadhar card. For example, if there is a change in your address then you need to change the same on your Aadhar card as well. But how do you proceed with it? To help you out, we have outlined the steps below.
- The first thing that you need to do is visit the SSUP Update
- If you wish to update your address, click on the update address.
- A new window will open where you are required to enter your 12 digit Aadhar number.
- Now enter the text verification code in the given box and click on the send OTP option.
- An OTP will be generated and send to your registered mobile number.
- You need to use this OTP in order to log in to your Aadhar account. You can also use the TOTP feature to authenticate.
- Now check the address option and hit the submit button.
- Enter the residential address that is mentioned in your proof of address and then hit the submit update request option.
- If you wish to modify your address, click on the modify option.
- Now check the declaration box and click on the proceed button.
- In the step, you are required to select the type of document that you want to submit as your POA for verification. Upload the scanned copy of your proof of address and then hit the submit button.
- Now click the yes button and select the BPO service provider. Once you are done hit the submit option.
- The BPO service provider will verify all the details provided by you. If the details match with your proof of address then your request will be forwarded to You will receive an acknowledgement slip for the same. This will contain the update request number which will be needed for future references. Once your aadhar card is ready and updated, you can download the updated version from the net and take a print out of it.
With the help of the steps mentioned above, you can easily update your Aadhar card whenever you want.
Eligibility criteria for Aadhar card
There is a lot of confusion regarding the matter who all can apply for an aadhar card. to help you out, we have simplified the eligibility criteria for aadhar card in the points below.
- Based on Aadhar act 2016 every resident of the country is eligible to apply for an aadhar number by submitting his biometric and demographic information.
- Foreign national or NRIs who has resided in the country for more than 182 days can also apply for an aadhar number.
Benefits of Aadhar Card www.uidai.gov.in
The government of India has made it mandatory for every citizen to link their aadhar cards with their bank account and mobile numbers. This has been done in order to stop the fraudulent activities that have been going on in these sectors. Aadhar card serves as an identity proof which is valid in any part of the country. It also has several benefits to offer as well. With the help of aadhar card you can easily open a new bank account, get a new SIM card, apply for your passport, etc. it can be said that individuals who have their aadhar card can enjoy plenty of perks and benefits provided by the government.
Some of the main benefits that you can reap from the possession of aadhar card can be summed up into the following points.
- Income tax: One of the biggest benefits of having an aadhar card is that you can verify your filed returns by following a few simple steps online. This allows you to cut down on the need of documents. This is actually considered to be more efficient and cost-effective as well.
- Passport: With the help of aadhar card, now you can get your passport ready within 10 days. This may sound like a miracle but it is actually true. When you apply for your passport using online E form portal, all you need to do is attach a copy of your aadhar. This will be your proof of address and identity. Within 3 days you will receive an appointment after which your passport will be processed and dispatched within a week.
- Opening a new bank account: Gone are the days when you have to provide multiple identity proof in the bank in order to open a new account. But with the help of your aadhar card, now you can easily open your account in just a few
- Getting your pension money on time: This is one of the biggest benefits that senior citizens can derive from aadhar card. It enables them to receive their pension on time. For older people, the entire process of documentation may prove to be troublesome. But this has been made easy with the use of aadhar card. Now all you need to do is get your aadhar number registered and this will ensure timely pay-outs of Your Pension.
- LPG and other subsidies: Another benefit of aadhar card is that it can direct your LPG Subsidy to your bank account. In fact, all other government subsidies can be directed to your bank account with the help of your aadhar card. All you need to do is get your aadhar card linked to your bank account. There is no need for you to register each time for every government benefit.
- Easy provident fund disbursement: This is yet another good use of your aadhar card. It ensures that your provident fund is directly disbursed to the pensioner’s account. All you need to do is link your aadhar card with your pension account. This will help you save both your effort and time.
Concerns with Aadhar
Although Aadhar is probably the most important document for a person in India, certain concerns have been raised by people regarding Aadhar.
- Concerns about Feasibility: Scholars have raised questions that for this venture the government has spent close to USD 1.3 billion and it was shown as a not profit venture. Yet UIDAI’s work does not end after issuing Aadhar as there are numerous after sale services that need to be provided. Scholars are of the opinion that the expenditure behind maintaining this project may turn out to be more than the amount of black money it can recover.
- Lack of Legislative Backing: Aadhar was initially introduced as voluntary but gradually it has been made mandatory. Public interest litigations have been filed against the government in the Supreme Court of India, raising concerns whether UIDAI has a legal allowance to collect citizens’ biometric data.
- Data Sharing Concerns: There have been issues which were dragged till courtrooms where law enforcement bodies have asked UIDAI to help them by sharing biometric details of escaped convicts and other “under trial” possible criminals who could be convicted if the data obtained from UIDAI matched the data with the law enforcement bodies. The court allowed UIDAI to do so but UIDAI was not ready and asked the Supreme Court of India to intervene. The Supreme Court overruled the judgment of the earlier court and the data was not shared. However, the reason why it was being asked for in the first place was for the benefit of society.
- Security Concerns with Aadhar Card: Many eminent and respected politicians said that on local levels, to gain political advantage a local councillor can easily arrange a ration card, voter card or councillors letter for an illegal citizen and that would fail Aadhar’s primary motive. Aadhar was introduced primarily to catch illegal immigrants in the country but later many subsidy programs and benefits were added.
Need of IRIS in the project
In order to Ensure Uniqueness, the Biometrics Committee played a vital role in helping UIDAI to decide Biometrics should be used in the project. One of the main challenge faced by UIDAI was to ensure uniqueness of all the 1.2 billion people across the country.
To achieve this, UIDAI has to compulsory minimize the false acceptance rate (FAR) in its biometrics. To reduce FAR, Biometrics Committee decided to take Biometrics of the fingerprints as well as the face. By involving iris to finger and face biometrics, it would be beneficial for UIDAI to achieve high levels of Accuracy more than 95% and also would ensure a very low FAR.
In order to provide better accuracy, the Biometric Committee submitted the report to the UIDAI. Later on, UIDAI reviewed the report and decided to include iris into the UID.
2. Ensuring Inclusion
By including iris in the UIDAI project, UIDAI wants to involve a large number of population in the project. The two main challenges faced by UIDAI are as follows:
Ensuring the inclusion of Poor residents:
UIDAI faces a challenge in collecting the Biometrics from the poor as their occupation is difficult and their fingerprints are generally worn out and that’s why difficult to capture.
- Ensuring the inclusion of Children:
While collecting de-duplicating the biometrics of children, it’s very difficult, as their biometrics change until the age of 16. In order to ensure Child’s Biometrics, his/her UIDAI is being linked with the parents.
Other Benefits of iris
Following are the benefits of collecting iris for UID project:
- Comfort: While taking iris of the Citizen will be intruding. You can view the iris taken at one of the UIDAI’s Centre. However, iris capture doesn’t involve physical contact with the citizen.
- Ease of use: A trained Executive can easily take the iris and fingerprint of the citizen. Using newer devices, the operator can easily take the iris with an auto-focus feature.
- Reducing risks in Execution: UID Enrollment will be held on a wide scale and in diverse environments. However, the enrollment of processes and system is standardized.
- Reducing Technology Risks: There are noteworthy risks involved in the UID project. However, this type of system is not yet implemented in any other project across the country.
- De-duplication: At the time of implementing new changes in the Biometrics project, experts pointed out that iris de-duplication is very easy as compared to fingerprint de-duplication. By
Making multi-modal duplication, an iris is kept as primary duplication, which can be done much faster as compared to fingerprint de-duplication.
- Applications: UID is useful for various purposes such as making financial transactions and making small payments. It is also useful to enjoy various benefits provided by the Government.
There are lots of benefits of IRIS Technology. There is not much information about how IRIS Technology works.
IRIS is basically the most protected region in the human’s eye, it mainly controls the diameter of pupils – the center region of the eye and also the amount of light entering the eye.
As shown in figure 1, the pigmented layer of iris contains various random patterns which are visible and highly stable. These patterns are unique to each and every individual.
How to capture an image using iris?
The process to take photographs using iris is similar to a regular photograph, however, it operates in the infrared region, nearly visible to the eye. In this process, the device captures the image and then it is permanently stored in the database. It is very much useful at the time of de-duplication and Verification.
Devices used for iris capture
There are basically two devices that can be used for iris capture:
1. Wall mounted
1. Wall Mounted: These devices are used to access control applications.
2. Handheld: E-Governance applications and for iris enrollment.
- The implementation of this new project in the market is useful and tends to bring various questions and answers. These questions arise because Technology is not known to the majority of people.
- The main reason to include Biometrics is to keep in mind the critical needs of the project in allocating the uniqueness of the number and also all the residents can also enrol in the UID easily.
Frequently Asked Question
What is an Aadhar card
- Aadhar is a 12 digit random number given by the Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) This is on behalf of the government of India to the resident of Indian people. This authority is admitted in January 2009 by the Indian Government. According to Paul Romer The Chief Economist of World Bank: Aadhar is a most Sophisticated ID Programme in the World. Aadhar card is collected biometric and demographic data of each person. That means in this procedure you should scan your eye retina and finger scanning at the Aadhar enrollment centre.[/su_spoiler]
What is an Aadhar Card Number?
- Aadhaar numbers are a number of 12 digits. There is evidence of being a citizen of India, through which the evidence of the person’s demographic and biographical verification is found. It also keeps the whole information of the person on which the case is going on. Aadhaar data is fully safe and secure at UIDAI.
What is the Reason behind the Making of an Aadhaar card?
- The Main Reason for Aadhaar card Making is not Only to have the Basic Information and details about Individual citizens. but also to ensure Grass Root Level Development in the Indian Country.
Who can apply for Aadhar card Registration?
- As we all Know the Aadhar card has immense Important document for above 15 years old people. so every permanent Indian people can apply for a new Aadhaar card.
- PIOs (Persons of Indian origin card) and NRI (Non-Resident Indian) holders are not eligible for Aadhar card. The Aadhar form clearly states that you have remained in India for 182 days in the past 12 months.
- So there is no any online process to apply Aadhar card for PIO and NRI people.
- OCI card holders can apply for Aadhar card in one condition As per the Aadhar Act 2016 (Targeted Delivery of Financial and Other Subsidies, Benefits and Services) Who has resided in India for the duration to 182 days or more in the 12 Month immediately preceding the date of Application for Enrolment.
What is mAadhar? Explain the Benefits of mAadhar.
- You can access your all Aadhar information through a mAadhar application. that means Aadhar card holder does not carry their Aadhar card physically. the benefit of the mAadhar app is you can generate Time-Based One Time Password (OTP) instead of One Time Password (OTP). You can lock and unlock your biometric data through a mAadhar app. That’s why you can use it without any hesitation in your mobile. you can download the maadhaar app from playstore.
What are the features of an Aadhaar card?
- Aadhar Card is India’s first such certificate in which identity, address, birth, and other certificates are in the same card for each person. Even it is also for children.
- Aadhar Card has been valid and accepted at any place of India.
- Any other benefits such as Bank Account, Mobile, LPG Connection, Train travel, And Any Type of Government Scheme through Aadhar card can be availed. which will serve as proof.
- The Aadhar Card will identify the Mobility of Migrants.
- Aadhaar card update online through you can do any types of changes in your Aadhar such as Name, DOB, Mobile number, Email, Address etc. it will also easily done online via the self service update portal – SSUP.
- 12 digit Unique ID number will be given to each person and also collected birthdate and biometric information.
How many days does it take to receive Aadhar card after Update/Correction?
- You will get your physical Aadhar card within 60-80 days by India post courier.
Is there any procedure to generate Aadhar for Kids & Minor?
- Yes, definitely why not? you can apply Baal Aadhar card for your child. steps to apply Aadhar card for your child is HERE
How many passport size photo shall I carry for apply Aadhar card?
- Officially you don’t need to carry any photo for apply Aadhar card. because of Aadhar card executive will take your photo itself at the Aadhar enrolment centre.
How to download E-Aadhar card using Enrolment/Aadhaar Number from official website uidai.gov.in?
- You can download your E-Aadhar card as a PDF file from the UIDAI official website at your home.
What is the password of my downloaded E-Aadhar PDF file?
- When will you download E-Aadhar card from an online portal? you will be asked for entering a password. In this condition, you should enter the first four letter of your name in the capital letter only. then you have to enter the Birth of year only (YYYY). see below given example.
- If your name is P.KUMAR and your birth year is 1995? then you should write as a password P.KU1995
- If your name is RIA and your birth year is 1990? then you should write as a password RIA1990
- Read More: e-aadhaar card pdf password
My mAadhar application is not reading OTP automatically. what should I do?
- First of all, you have to allow permission of application to read SMS when installing mAadhar app. Just follow below given simple steps to read OTP automatically.
- In your mobile go to the setting menu.
- Go with “Permission Control” option.
- Go to apps. and select “mAadhar” app option.
- Then allow “Read SMS option
What is TOTP? How TOTP is generated?
- Temporary One Time Password (TOTP) is 8 digit number. which is generated by an algorithm and it’s valid only for 30 seconds. it is connected to the resident. and generated every 30 seconds for each resident. that is called TOTP.
What is the Aadhar card customer care number?
- Aadhar card customer care number is 1800 300 1947 & 1947. It’s totally free and available for 24*7 you can call them for any suggestion regarding Aadhar card.
What is biometric locking & Unlocking? How can we use this Features by visiting the UIDAI official website?
By these features, you can lock and unlock your Aadhar card. That means if you enabled this features your biometric authentication will be secured by locking biometric data. Aadhar holder can choose this option from the UIDAI official website. follow this below given steps to enabled and disabled biometric of Aadhar.
- Open UIDAI official website here
- After opening the website you will have to choose “Lock/Unlock Biometrics” Option on the right side of the mentioned menu.
- Next step Lock/Unlock Biometrics page will appear on your screen
- Then you should enter UID (Unique Identification Number) or VID (Virtual Identification Number) on “Login using Aadhaar or VID” section by entering a security code.
- Then click on “Send OTP” button.
- After clicking on Send OTP button, you will receive One Time Password on your registered mobile number. copy them and enter it “Enter OTP” button given on Enable/Disable Biometric Lock section.
- Finally your Aadhar biometric is locked successfully. to unlock it by doing the same process will be unlocked.
Is it compulsory to link my Aadhar card with my Bank account?
- Yes, it’s necessary to link your Aadhar with a bank account. if it not done by you? then your bank account will be blocked before 31st Dec 2017 as per the UIDAI news.
What is Registered Mobile Number in Aadhar card?
- That means your mobile number is linked with your Aadhar number.
Mobile number link with Aadhar card is compulsory or not?
- Obviously, it’s compulsory and necessary to link your mobile number with Aadhar. by linking your mobile number with Aadhar you can update and correct your current Aadhar card details online. and it’s very safe and secure for your Aadhar details.
Why are Various Government Schemes Are Asking For Aadhar Card & Linking With Them?
- Aadhar card is 12 digit unique identification number. and Aadhar card having biometrics records of all every Indian people. which will through Indian resident open an instant bank account, LPG subsidiary, getting a passport in 10 days, monthly pension, student scholarship, New mobile sim connection, Apply for new PAN card etc. for that you should link your mobile number with Aadhar. that’s why Government schemes are asking for Aadhar card and linking with them.
Is it possible to access Aadhar online website/services from outside of India?
- Official website of UIDAI stated as uidai.gov.in does not have any restriction for the use of anywhere in the world. but some of the UIDAI official website’s web-based features like E-Aadhar, Aadhar card updating and Aadhar self service portal SSUP are geo-based policy. which will through you don’t have permission to access them outside of India. That’s it.
Should NRIs also have an Aadhar card?
How do I link my Aadhar card with PAN & Bank account through the Online portal?
- As per the Unique Identification Authority of India Aadhar linking is mandatory with PAN card, Bank account. If it’s not done by you yet? Then Link your Aadhar with PAN card Click HERE. | Link your Aadhar with Bank account by clicking HERE.
Is it true that Aadhar data was breached?
- No, this news is completely wrong if you heard by Media. because the Aadhar database has been never breached during the last 7 years of its existence. because UIDAI has advanced technologies to keep your Aadhar data safe. and according to Paul Romer the chief economist of world bank: Aadhar is a most Sophisticated ID Programme in the World. and it’s fully safe and secured by the Unique Identification Authority Of India.
Can someone hack my bank account if they get to know my Aadhaar number?
Can we Register/Update/Change Mobile Number In Aadhar Card From UIDAI Portal?
- For any kind of Aadhar correction or updating online, you should already register mobile number with UIDAI for receive OTP – One Time Password. Otherwise, you would need to visit your nearest Aadhar enrolment centre to update it.
What is the Contact Information of UIDAI for getting help regarding Aadhar card?
- Telephone Number: 1800-300-1947
- Fax: 080-2353 1947
- Email: email@example.com
Headquarter of UIDAI
The government of India (GoI)
Bangla Sahib Road,
Behind Kali Mandir, Gole Market
New Delhi – 110001
What to do if i Lost My Aadhar card?
- Now in a digital India, You can download a soft copy of your Aadhar from UIDAI official website. So in this case, you will never have a situation of losing your Aadhar card. Find Your Lost Aadhar Card Here.